Friday, February 20, 2009

Great sound...

I went to this concert last Wednesday.
Donavon Frankenreiter & Gary Jules were performing @ Soho (a local music club).
The crowd was flowing in as a gentle and colorful stream...and pre-paying the ticket online saved me a long line at the door...Yeah. Donavon was friendly, smiling is way across the room. Great jaket man....
Gary Jules opened alone with his guitar. His music filled up the room with a sound reminiscent of early years...Oh man...listening to Cat Stevens, chill out under the shadow of an olive tree, looking at the ocean, counting shooting stars under the moolight of Tavira. He left the stage with his 2001 version of Mad World ( yes you know it from Donnie Darko). Great cover of Tears for Fears 1982 original version. Shortly after Donavon Frankenreiter hit the stage with his band for the joys of old and young. That's when I realized I wasn't in a concert but in a typical Santa Barbara "to see and to be seen" kinda Zoo. I mean F@#& you old fart....no Donavon didn't play at Woodstock...he wasn't born in 1969!!! And yes, that's why there are so many young folks in here. You can smoke doobies and drink tee at home. And what is wrong with you younger and older girls??? Do you really have to walk around with a sign saying "Single mother looking for pro surfer" or "School girl likes Kelly"...the only inpression you left was the one guys get from over-styled cheap blond bimbos (have you ever seen a surfboard? Can you spell that for me please?).
Guys I have a question!!! Where did you all get cloned and sent to the world as brainless zombies surfing white K smalls "verticaly" and "in the pocket"? Are all those brands your sponsors? By the way - No, Kelly Slater is not your buddy now just because you bothered/met him ( and me. I didn't even know I was standing next to him for quite some time. hey!!! He is smaller than I thought and had a wool beanie over his bold head...I was trying to enjoy the music.) and I don't think he will add you as a friend on Facebook now....
Donavon sent us home with a "if it don't matter to you, it don't matter to me" and all the room finally sang along. To make a long story short - the evening had a great sound, but really nasty vibes. Something is really wrong in this surfing town...

2 comments:

  1. Same stuff happens everywhere. Surf related events are full of those people, guys that think they're the next Slater, although most of them don't even surf but wear expensive surfwear and yellow stincky hair, and girls with a sticker "stupid girl looking for a surfer dude" on their forehead!

    We have to lookout for our children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same shit dif. place I guess!!!

    ReplyDelete